BUILD YOUR OWN CONFIDENCE, NEVER BREAK OTHERS'

This is a very personal post to me and I thought I should probably say something about this. 

Isn't it pathetic that our society thinks that they can say anything to our face just because we can't say anything to them, out of respect. Especially about our appearance, not with the slightest realization that they themselves are not that perfect ( which is totally ok ). "You seem to have put on a little weight" , "You should be BRISK around the house" , "Drink more milk, you will look fairer" , "Drink more water, your are breaking out all over your face". Sounds familiar? Being from an Indian society these are like usual sentences in every conversation especially towards girls from all the loving Aunties. 

They never realize that she is probably already insecure about it and the comment did NOT make her day better. She was probably only building her confidence and your "suggestion" broke it like shattered glass. She was probably having a great day until you came. They very happily said it just as part of a conversation, but it was way more than a casual word to her.

Yes, am curvy. Yes, I have a heavy body build. Yes, I don't fit into your "ideal figure" of a woman. All of this is ok, I know it is. It took me years to build that confidence and all it takes is ONE CASUAL WORD to break that. Something that took years to build, broken in just a second. " You shouldn't take naps in the afternoon, you put on weight... already your obese" , "You still look the same, all the exercises I showed you in online class seem to have gone down the drain" , "I know it's hard but you have to be brisk when you are always at home". These are the sweetest comments I got from my teachers... to my face. It is disappointing to think that they think it is ok to say these things just because we cannot respond back to them... they are supposed to be TEACHERS. 

This is not only for curvy girls. It's not even only about weight. It's not even only about girls. It's always something, color, hair, skin, clothes, your nose, your teeth, how you dress, what you like, your dreams, what you pursue, where you go, what you do etc etc. It is always something with us. Yes there always is something... but with everybody. And that's absolutely ok. It is not humanely possible to be perfect in everything all the time. With not one second of thought how it will affect that person, spit it out. And end it with an affectionate smile, a laugh, a "just kidding" or "don't get me wrong". Will they receive comments about their flaws the same way I received mine?

I am very grateful to everybody who made me feel better after such an incident. Who told me that I am beautiful as I am, Am not fat... it's just my body type, not to let it get to my heart and some really cool support. Again, I know all of this is true but it gets more and more hard to believe the more times you hear it. You feel good after a nice workout, You look at yourself in the mirror and see that it is having an effect after all, only to hear this as soon as you step outside. 

It's not only about appearance but anything that they think or believe. If you don't agree with it, just smile and walk away. Everybody is different, inside out... everybody is imperfect inside out and THAT IS OK!!!  

Hoping for a day where our society accepts flaws as a way of life and a day where I can block out these and not let it get to me. 

I heartfelt say this to everybody who related to this and who didn't

YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL EXACTLY HOW YOU ARE 💖 

Comments

  1. This is so true raw and lovely to read and knowing your not alone ...keep writing 💙💜

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately physical insecurities, and as a result of that, body shaming exist in every society... we just need to remind ourselves that 1. We're much more than our physical appearance, 2. People who really care will look at us for our character and not our appearance 3. We need to maintain good health, and good health can come in all shapes and sizes

    Keep calm and be strong 💪!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having said the points above, I also would like to say that usually these are said by people when they want to show care and love, in a way they know... it's not harmful and vile, it is not intended to hurt... so when you expand your range of reception to such comments, you'll learn to take what you need and bypass the rest... criticism and negative feedback is as much important as motivation, encouragement and positive ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is also trueee!!! Thank you soo much Shubha Chithi. Really means a lot ❤️✨

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts